Wednesday, January 12, 2011

SOMETHING SERIOUS......



Detroit Public Schools are the topic of discussion around metro Detroit once again. This time for (you guessed it) more bad news. Emergency Financial Manager Robert Bobb wants to close another 70 schools by the year 2013. That would leave the school district with only 72 schools and almost double class sizes. I know the goal is to decrease the $325 million budget deficit but I honestly don't think this is the route to go. Being a graduate of DPS I think that's a very bad idea. Students in Detroit schools already need more one on one attention and to make classrooms hold between 31-62 students is insane. It seems to me that he's almost trying to make these grade school classrooms into lecture halls. Not only is this a bad idea for the students but, it's also going to be an extra load for teachers who already face a ton of issues working in the DPS school system. 
There's also talk that he wants to cut out sports in schools. A lot of children in Detroit communities already don't have positive things going on in their lives and sports are sometimes that outlet that keeps them on the path of right instead of wrong. Sports can sometimes be all a student has. To completely cut out programs is ridiculous. There's been many times I've agreed with Bobb but I must admit this time I'm in total disagreement. I know the school system needs to get out of the black however, there's got to be a better way. What are your thoughts?


No comments:

Post a Comment