Saturday, January 15, 2011

ARE YOU A FINANCIAL CHEATER????

This is a hot subject and I'd say a very sensitive one. How many times have you told a lie to your spouse or significant other about your finances? Said you didn't have money but was really saving up on the side, a bank account they know nothing about, racking up thousands of dollars in credit card debt that they know nothing of, or you've even hid a minor purchase you know that wouldn't approve of. According to an article on Forbes.com you are indeed cheating on your mate financially! The article also states how dangerous it is...it breaks trust, causes divorce/separation and all sorts of problems. 



When I first read the article I though to myself okay it can't be that serious to take it as far as calling it financial cheating. However, after thinking about it I began to agree. Just thinking about everyone I know I can give several examples of things that would be under this list of things considered "financially cheating." I'm almost positive that each and every one of you have been on either end...the deceiver or the one being deceived. But why? Why is it necessary to lie to your mate about FINANCES??? 

In some cases it's obvious as to why someone would...such as a man dishing out money on a mistress on the side. Of course he wouldn't tell his spouse about something like that. There was an example that was mind boggling to me though. A woman who remarried hid from her new husband $7,000 a month that she was receiving in child support for her son from her first marriage. She lucked up and found a man that accepted both her and her son but out of greed she chose to lie to him. In cases like that I don't understand why. 

One example that was listed I've heard one tooooooooo many times in the just the 25 years I've lived. Actually just heard a very similar story last week SMH. It's being victim of someone fabricating their whole life. Marrying or being in long term relationships with people who have LIED about EVERYTHING...from the degree, to the high paying job, or having a load of debt that you know nothing about. In these type of cases I feel they're easiest to not become a victim of though. All it takes is a little bit of background work to avoid this. I have no shame in saying...YES 9/10 you should do a background check on someone before you get IN TOO DEEP! Not saying you'll find out everything but you'll definitely avoid being deceived in quite a few of these type of situations. Also, I know money is a very sensitive subject but...in the beginning you better have those money talks before you get so serious and say "I DO"

Financial deceit is becoming more and more prevalent...but hopefully after reading this post you'll think before being the deceiver or you'll avoid being deceived. 

No comments:

Post a Comment